Create a doll-sized teepee for hours of imaginative play, inside or out. Makes a great hideaway or alternative to a more traditional tent.
This intermediate-level PDF pattern download includes step-by-step photo instructions for building the teepee frame from CPVC pipe and flexible poly tubing (found in most plumbing supply departments), as well as pattern pieces and instructions for sewing a fully-lined fabric cover secured with a combination of fabric tabs and cording.
Options for the teepee’s exterior include the two-toned cover shown on the front page or a solid panel version made from a single fabric. Features include flaps covering the rounded door, with elastic bands and buttons used as tie-backs.
Need help finding PVC project supplies? Check out our PVC Parts & Supplies page for links to our favorite sources!
Get inspired by these samples made by Team Tillie!
DISCLOSURE: MatildaJo.com and its shop, ClubMatilda.com, are for-profit operations. As such, we occasionally participate in affiliate marketing programs where a small commission is received when products are purchased through links on the site. It is our policy to include links such as those above only to products that we would or have used personally or which we feel comfortable recommending to you. However, we accept no responsibility or liability for the results of your purchase or use of said products.
- Two 10-foot almond color CPVC CTS pipes - 1/2 inch (cut pieces total approximately 16 feet, not accounting for waste)
- CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 18 TEES
- 8 feet of 1/2-inch (OD)* x 3/8-inch (ID)** flexible poly tubing (typically found with plumbing supplies)
- 1 inch of 5/8-inch (OD) x 1/2-inch (ID) flexible poly tubing
- One 3/8-inch (ID) nylon hose barb (splicer)
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement
*(OD) = outer diameter
**(ID) = inner diameter TEEPEE COVER:
- 2 1/3 yards fabric for teepee exterior (2/3 yard for lower section, 1 2/3 yards for upper section) - cotton, lightweight denim or broadcloth. Yardage based on 44-inch wide fabric. Additional yardage may be needed for directional or patterned fabrics.
- 3 yards fabric for teepee lining
- 10 inches of 1/4-inch wide elastic
- 1 yard extra-wide double fold bias tape
- Two 3/8- to 1/2-inch wide post-style buttons
- 2 small cord locks
- 3 yards cording or jute (Check to make sure the cording or jute fits your cord lock and that the cord lock does not slip easily when cinched.)
- Thread TOOLS:
- Small handheld PVC pipe cutter, hacksaw or miter saw
- Measuring tape or yardstick
- Hair dryer (for heating poly tubing when assembling frame)
- Fine point permanent marker
- Sewing machine
- Iron & ironing board
- Seam gauge
- Loop turner
• Basic measurement
• PVC cutting using a handheld PVC pipe cutter or hand saw
• Beginner-level machine sewing
• Ability to read & follow assembly instructions