Grab your favorite fabric scraps, your glue gun and some basic plumbing materials and build a simple side chair for your 18-inch doll! Or better yet, make several so that all of her friends will have a place to sit with her!
This PDF project download includes instructions for building a basic side chair from CPVC pipe, including tips for prepping your pipes and step-by-step construction photos to help with assembly.
Also included are pattern pieces and detailed instructions for creating the padded fabric seat cushion... no sewing required! The cushion is attached to the chair frame with plastic tubing scraps and machine screws, with the addition of acorn nuts for added safety during play and a more finished look. This project goes together quickly and easily for most beginners who are comfortable using a hot glue gun and basic pipe cutting tools.
Need help finding PVC project supplies? Check out our Recommended PVC & CPVC Suppliers list for links to our favorite sources!
Make a table from an inexpensive photo frame to go with your new chairs! Click image to view FREE tutorial!
Get inspired by these samples made by our Team Tillie Testers!
– 3 feet almond color CPVC CTS pipe – 1/2 inch
– CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 6 tees, 12 couplings, four 90° elbows, 4 end caps
– Four #6 32×1/2-inch machine screws
– Four #6 32×1/2-inch screw nuts
– Four #6 32×1/2-inch acorn nuts (optional)
– Two 1/2-inch plastic tubing straps
– Chipboard (enough for one 4×4-inch piece and one 4.5×4.5-inch piece)
– 1/4 yard fabric (or enough for one 6.5×6.5-inch piece and one 5×5-inch piece) – cotton, denim, corduroy, home decorating fabrics
– 1/2-inch thick quilt batting (enough for two 5×5-inch pieces)
– Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement or PVC cement
– Small handheld PVC pipe cutter, hacksaw or miter saw
– Measuring tape or yardstick
– Phillips head screwdriver
– Needle nose pliers
– Hot glue gun & glue sticks
– T-square or metal straight edge
– Box cutter or X-ACTO knife
– Self-healing mat
– Hole punch or awl
• Basic measurement
• PVC cutting using a handheld PVC pipe cutter or hand saw
• Safe use of a hot glue gun
Approximately 5 inches wide x 5 1/2 inches deep x 8 inches tall
Matilda Jo Originals, including the brands Matilda’s Closet and AptOne8, is not affiliated with American Girl® or Mattel®. No endorsement is implied.