Your 18-inch friends as well as their 14.5-inch little sisters will be "frilled" to get dressed up in the variety of outfits that can be created with this pattern!
Options include a sleeveless, fully lined top, with or without side rows of front and back gathers; an above-the-knee pull-on skirt with built-in shorts (skort); and the option to sew the skirt and/or shorts as separate pieces. Mix and match fabric colors and patterns for even more variety.
The shirt is fastened in the back using your choice of snaps, such as KAMsnaps, or hook-and-loop tape. The skort, skirt and shorts feature an elasticized waistband. Because the shirt is fully lined, it can easily be made reversible by omitting the ruffles. For best results, choose lightweight fabrics with a nice drape, particularly for the skirt. If desired, the main fabric can also be used for the lining pieces ... be sure to combine yardage amounts if that is your choice.
This pattern is best suited to intermediate-level sewists. Instructions and pattern pieces are included for both 18-inch and 14.5-inch dolls, as well as all mentioned variations.
For 18-inch Dolls …
• MAIN FABRIC: 1/3 yard fashion fabric (light to medium weight cotton)
• LINING FABRIC: 1/4 yard (lightweight cotton)
• TOP: Four 3/8-inch diameter snap sets OR 4 3/4 inches of 3/8-inch wide hook-and-loop tape
• SKORT: 10 inches of 1/4-inch wide elastic
For 14.5-inch Dolls …
• MAIN FABRIC: 1/4 yard fashion fabric (light to medium weight cotton)
• LINING FABRIC: 1/6 yard (lightweight cotton)
• TOP: Three 3/8-inch diameter snap sets OR 3 1/2 inches of 3/8-inch wide hook-and-loop tape
• SKORT: 6 1/2 inches of 1/4-inch wide elastic
Matilda Jo Originals, including the brands Matilda’s Closet and AptOne8, is not affiliated with American Girl® or Mattel®. No endorsement is implied.